W. soccer secures win in seniors’ last home contest | The Triangle

W. soccer secures win in seniors’ last home contest

Photo courtesy Drexeldragons.com

The Drexel women’s soccer team split their matches at home this weekend.

Head Coach Ray Goon said, “In our game against Elon [University], I wouldn’t say that we made any specific tactical adjustments to earn a victory against them. I credit our players with the effort to be the difference between winning or losing.”

Before the win against Elon, the team dropped their match at home on Friday, Oct.16 to the College of William and Mary Tribe. The final score was 2-0.

The Dragons played an impressive first half defensively. They were able to hold the Tribe to zero points through the break.

However, the Tribe got on the board in the 55th minute of regulation. Drexel goalkeeper Kelsie Fye knocked down and saved a shot that deflected off of Dragon teammate Kylie Strong towards the net. Unfortunately, the Dragon defense could not clear the ball away from their net and the ball was kicked in, resulting in a Tribe goal.

William and Mary held on to a 1-0 advantage through the 80th minute of the game when the Tribe’s Sami Grasso solidified a victory. Grasso scored an unassisted goal, sinking the ball into the upper left corner of the net.

Overall, William and Mary outshot Drexel 10 to one.

The Tribe improves to 10-3-1 overall, and 4-1 in Colonial Athlectic Association competition.

Two days later on Oct. 18, the Dragons defeated the Elon Phoenix 2-1 in a double-overtime victory.

Prior to the game, the seniors were honored in their final home game at Vidas Field.

The game remained scoreless through halftime.

Elon got on the board first in the second half. Grace Bennett sent a ball into the upper right corner of the net to give the Phoenix a 1-0 lead.

The Dragons would respond with a goal of their own. Vanessa Kara was responsible for the Drexel score to tie the game.

The teams would battle through the rest of regulation time into the first overtime period, but both would remain unable to score in the first overtime, leading to a second overtime.

With 6:20 left of play, Kara scored her second goal of the night to give the Dragons the win. She worked down the right side of the field, dribbled past the Elon defense, and delivered a strong shot to the left side of the net. Kara’s two goals on the afternoon gave her 10 total on the season, tying the program record for goals in a single season.

Goon noted, “I believe our team demonstrated tremendous resolve and found a way to battle back and earn the ‘W’.”

Drexel outshot Elon 30-7. Dragons Kelsie Fye and Eve Badana split time at goaltender.

Drexel will go on the road to play their final games of the regular season.

“We will need to win at least one game this weekend to have a chance at a playoff spot. We’ll just focus on what we can control, which is play one game at a time, one half at a time, one minute at a time, one play at a time,” stated Goon.

Drexel will face off against the Northeastern Huskies on Oct. 23 and the Hofstra University Pride Oct. 25.