Late mistakes sink men’s lacrosse against Fairfield | The Triangle

Late mistakes sink men’s lacrosse against Fairfield

Photo courtesy
Photo courtesy

The Drexel University men’s lacrosse team came into their game against Fairfield University needing to get back on track in division play. The Dragons previously lost a tough conference match to Towson University, ranked number 10, April 2. Fairfield was certainly a noteworthy opponent, coming into the game at 5-6. Drexel came to the game with a record of 4-6.

The game started extremely well for the Dragons. Just two minutes into the action, the Dragons found themselves with a 1-0 lead. Joe Rainoldi scored a momentum boosting shot off an assist from Matthew Varian. Drexel continued their attacks: Cole Shafer automated a shot on goal, but it was saved. Shafer attempted two more shots, continuing to apply pressure, both, however, were saved.

With just 2:12 left in the first quarter, Frank Fusco found the back of the goal for his second goal of the season, and the second goal in the game for Drexel. In the last few seconds, Fairfield took back some momentum, scoring with essentially no time on the clock.

The second quarter started out just as good as the first. Will Manganiello scored on a nice assist from Marshal King, just 40 seconds into the quarter. Two minutes later the Dragons scored again. This time Hank Brown joined the action with his second goal of the season. Brown’s goal made the score 4-1 Dragons, a very good start.

Drexel and Fairfield battled in the coming minutes, and Fairfield finally broke through the Drexel defense again. With the score at 4-2, the Dragons still had a comfortable lead to go into the half with. Frank Fusco made it an even more comfortable lead as he would score his second goal of the game to put the Dragons up by three.

Drexel came out of the half just as strongly as they started the game. Just 20 seconds into the third quarter, Jordan Cunningham scored his first goal of the season to put the Dragons up by four. Fairfield did not let Drexel get too comfortable, however, just a few minutes after the Dragons scored, Fairfield scored its third goal of the game to bring them within three. Neither team could break through the defense of their opponent until the 12th second when, Fairfield scored again to make the score 6-4.

The Dragons were unable to carry their momentum into the fourth quarter. Fairfield came out with a comeback mindset. Three and a half minutes into the quarter Fairfield scored again to bring the score to 6-5. Drexel committed a few turnovers and could not score as well as they did in the earlier quarters. Fairfield took advantage scoring again at the 8:45 mark, tying the game at six.

Fairfield scored again at the 7:30 mark, taking the lead, and turning their comeback into reality. Drexel retaliated with a score at the 6:16 mark, however, Fairfield would score once more to make the game 7-8. The Dragons, unfortunately, could not find the back of the goal again and allowed Fairfield to win the match.

The Dragons dropped to 4-7 on the season, while Fairfield increased their record to 6-6. Drexel will be back at it again this weekend, April 16 against another conference foe, Hofstra University. Drexel will certainly look to close out their games, and get on the right track for their remaining conference games.